University of Ilorin, UNILORIN Cut Off Marks: The University of Ilorin, fondly called UNILORIN, is one of the most sought-after universities in Nigeria. Every year, thousands of applicants vie for limited admission slots into various programmes at UNILORIN. A key factor that determines who gets admitted into this prestigious university is meeting the cut off mark for each programme.
In this comprehensive article, you will find all the information you need about UNILORIN cut off marks for the 2023/2024 academic session. We will cover the meaning of cut off marks, factors that determine cut off marks, how UNILORIN arrives at cut off marks for different programmes, and the specific cut off marks for all programmes in the last academic session. Read on to equip yourself with everything you need to know about UNILORIN cut off marks to guide your admission decisions.
What are Cut Off Marks?
Cut off marks refer to the minimum aggregate score that applicants need to attain in relevant O’level subjects to be eligible to apply to any degree programme at a particular university. This minimum score is agreed upon by the university Senate and varies across universities and programmes.Join any of our Social Media Pages to receive Latest Updates!
The higher the cut off mark for a programme, the more competitive it is. This means that only applicants with the best aggregate scores will be admitted into programmes with high cut off marks. Therefore, cut off marks give you an idea of how competitive the programmes you are interested in are.
Knowing the cut off marks for your desired programmes is important to guide your application decisions. You want to be sure you stand a chance before applying. We will provide the specific cut off marks for all UNILORIN programmes shortly. First, let’s understand how these cut off marks are arrived at.
Factors Affecting UNILORIN Cut Off Marks
Several factors determine the cut off marks for each academic session. Here are some of the major considerations:
- Number of available slots for each programme: Programmes with fewer slots tend to have higher cut off marks.
- Number of applicants: When a programme receives high numbers of applicants, the cut off mark is likely to be higher.
- Performance of applicants: If the average performance of applicants in relevant subjects is high, the cut off mark will increase accordingly.
- University admission quota: NUC allocates a specific admission quota to each university, which influences cut off marks.
- Competitiveness of the programme: Some programmes like Medicine, Law, Accountancy are more competitive than others. Their cut off marks are usually higher.
The UNILORIN admissions committee sits to analyze these factors against the grading system and agrees on cut off marks for the various programmes. This is then presented to the Senate for approval. Although cut off marks differ slightly year-on-year, there is usually no drastic change.
UNILORIN Cut Off Marks for 2023/2024 Academic Session
Now that you understand how cut off marks are determined, let’s get into the real reason you are here. Below are the official UNILORIN cut off marks for admission into various programmes for the 2023/2024 academic session:Join any of our Social Media Pages to receive Latest Updates!
Faculty of Agriculture
- Agriculture – 180
- Home Economics and Food Science – 180
- Animal Production – 180
- Crop Production – 180
- Agricultural Economics and Farm Management – 180
- Agricultural Extension and Rural Development – 180
Faculty of Arts
- English – 200
- History and International Studies – 200
- Linguistics and Nigerian Languages – 180
- Philosophy – 180
- Religious Studies – 180
- Theatre Arts – 180
Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Anatomy – 230
- Biochemistry – 220
- Physiology – 210
Faculty of Business and Social Sciences
- Accounting – 210
- Banking and Finance – 210
- Business Administration – 210
- Economics – 200
- Political Science – 190
- Sociology – 190
- Psychology – 200
- Mass Communication – 210
Faculty of Clinical Sciences
- Medicine and Surgery – 260
- Medical Rehabilitation – 240
Faculty of Communication and Information Sciences
- Library and Information Science – 180
- Mass Communication – 200
Faculty of Education
- Arts Education – 200
- Science Education – 200
- Physical and Health Education – 190
- Early Childhood Education – 190
- Adult Education – 180
- Education Economics – 180
- Education English – 200
- Education Islamic Studies – 180
- Education Geography – 190
- Education Yoruba – 180
- Education Management – 180
- Education Chemistry – 200
- Education Biology – 200
- Education Mathematics – 200
- Education Physics – 200
- Education Computer Science – 200
- Education Technology – 180
- Guidance and Counselling – 180
- Educational Management – 200
- Primary Education Studies – 200
Faculty of Engineering and Technology
- Chemical Engineering – 220
- Civil Engineering – 220
- Electrical Engineering – 220
- Mechanical Engineering – 220
- Material and Metallurgical Engineering – 220
- Agricultural Engineering – 200
Faculty Environmental Sciences
- Architecture – 200
- Quantity Surveying – 190
- Urban and Regional Planning – 190
- Geology – 190
- Geography and Environmental Management – 190
Faculty of Law
- Law – 240
Faculty of Life Sciences
- Microbiology – 220
- Industrial Chemistry – 210
- Chemistry – 210
- Biology – 210
- Computer Science – 210
- Statistics – 210
- Physics – 200
- Mathematics – 200
- Geophysics – 200
- Petroleum Chemistry – 210
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Industrial Chemistry – 230
- Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Microbiology – 230
- Pharmacology and Toxicology – 230
- Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Administration – 230
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry – 230
Faculty of Social Sciences
- Economics – 190
- Geography and Planning – 190
- Political Science – 190
- Sociology – 190
- Psychology – 200
- Mass Communication – 210
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Medicine – 240
What to Know About UNILORIN Cut Off Marks
Looking at the cut off marks above, here are some key things to note:
- Medicine and Surgery cut off mark is the highest at 260, followed by Law with 240. This shows the competitiveness of professional programmes.
- Education and Arts related courses tend to have lower cut off marks around 180-200.
- Sciences like Pharmacy, Engineering, and core Science courses have cut off marks between 200-230.
- For direct entry students, cut off marks are similar but calculated based on HND/OND grades.
- Cut off marks for postgraduate programmes are based on BSc/BA/BEng grades.
- UNILORIN does not announce separate cut off marks for catchment and non-catchment applicants.
These cut off marks are a guide to the typical scores required for admission. However, meeting the cut off mark does not guarantee admission. Applicants who score up to 5 marks below the cut off may also be considered based on availability of slots. See the complete University of Ilorin, UNILORIN Admission Requirements.
Expected UNILORIN Cut Off Marks for 2023/2024 Academic Session
While the official UNILORIN cut off marks for 2023/2024 admission will be announced later this year, we can make projections based on the 2022/2023 cut off marks above.
Barring any major changes in admission trends, programmes like Medicine, Law, Accountancy, and Engineering whose cut offs are already high will likely remain around the same mark. Similarly, cut off marks for less competitive programmes may not change much.
However, for programmes in the middle like pharmacy, sciences, and arts, we may see a slight increase of 5-10 points if application numbers increase. Nonetheless, these are just projections. We will update you once the official 2023/2024 UNILORIN cut off marks are announced.
How to Apply with the Right Cut Off MarkJoin any of our Social Media Pages to receive Latest Updates!
Now that you know the UNILORIN cut off marks to expect for the 2023/2024 admission, here are tips to apply successfully:
- Check the cut off mark for all the programmes you are interested in applying for.
- Confirm the subjects required to calculate the aggregate cut off mark.
- Add up your scores in relevant O’level subjects and calculate your aggregate score.
- Apply only to programmes whose cut off marks you meet or are close to.
- If you do not meet the current cut off mark, you may need to retake external exams to improve your scores.
- Begin your application early once UNILORIN portal opens.
Meeting the UNILORIN cut off mark for your desired programme is the first crucial step to gaining admission. This guide provides everything you need to know to make informed application decisions. All the best!
The UNILORIN cut off mark is a crucial factor determining admission into UNILORIN. With this comprehensive guide, you now understand what cut off marks are, how UNILORIN arrives at them and can find the specific cut off marks for all programmes in the last academic session.
Although the official cut off marks for 2023/2024 admission are yet to be announced, the projections provided above give you an idea of what to expect. We advise that you use this information to guide your admission decisions and apply to programmes you stand a good chance of getting into.
All prospective UNILORIN students are encouraged to bookmark this page and check back regularly for official updates on 2023/2024 admission cut off marks. We will update you once new information is available from the university. You can also drop any questions you may have in the comments section.